Monday, April 24, 2017

In this project I wanted to make my mass model parametrically influenced at the project level that way I would be able to change the sizes with ease since the original Parco della Musica features three uniquely sized structures. In order to do this I ad to make common parameters that could influence a host of elements simultaneously and I also had to make sure they were instance parameters so they would pass over when I loaded the masses into a project template. For these purposes I created the parameters "h" and "L" for height and Length and in the formula space for the dimension parameters I put the element dimension + h or + L depending on the element I was trying to manipulate. This effect allowed me to change the sizes of the models in the project template simply by changing the value of "h" or "L."




In this project I decided to incorporate the solar representation utilizing dynamo with my conceptual mass. First I created a parametrically driven adaptive model to create an adaptive panel to use as a divided surface envelope for my conceptual mass. I then used Dynamo to create 3-dimensional points for each panel with help from nodes like "select divided surface families" and "excel write to path." I then opened a project template and  created a solar representation using Dynamo and the excel spreadsheet. However I needed to make three models to match the Parco della Musica. In order to do this I utilized "geometry rotate", "geometry tranlsate" and "list join" nodes to be able to control the angle and spacing of the solar models which is possible because the surfaces were created as polygons by point. However I did have an issue that I could not resolve. With



a certain few panels the normal vector would be facing inwards as opposed to outwards towards the exterior. I believe this manifested in creating a negative vector which would result in a dot product of zero and this yield the color green in the solar model. I was unable to figure out how to get rid of that but for the most part the rest of the panels worked perfectly in reflecting the intended gradient of colors.

Sunday, March 26, 2017





These are examples of issues I had with the void tool. This was the main complication for this project design. The cutting tool had difficulty recognizing the exotic void extrusions I used to shape my conceptual mass. However there were even problems using some conventional void extrusions to cut with. It would be nice to see Revit become a little more sophisticated in this regard. One should use caution and plenty of testing before relying on this method of design.
This is a Revit rendering of my Parco della Musica project
For this project I began by creating am 11 x 11 grid of reference lines to attach my conceptual mass to in order to recreate the Parco della Musica. I utilized horizontal and perpendicular partial ellipses to create my mass structure. I created parameters for their height and width as well for the dimensions of the reference lines. I then used those parameters to size my mass to the desired appearance. I initially attempted to utilize voids of different shapes to carve my design put but wound up with difficulty cutting away the voids despite following the procedure closely and seeking assistance. In some cases I believe the void shapes were too foreign for Revit to comprehend. However that was not always the case as I found difficulty with conventional box shapes at times. After creating my conceptual mass I gave the different surfaces curtain panels and then imported them in to an architectural template project. I created the instances of my mass and put them on top of a toposurface to emulate the appearance of the Parco della Musica.